Monday, May 30, 2005

May 30 #2

I guess I should try to explain why my new links section have Catholic links. It's kinda weird me being a Presbyterian and all and living in the South with almost no Catholic Churches or Catholic Christians around.

It all started around 5 or 6 years ago when I first became a Presbyterian that I was frequenting a message board on Ligonier Ministries website. Every good Presbyterian these days probably knows of Ligonier Ministries and RC Sproul. Anyway, I worked third shift at the time and had a lot of time to sit and read. I watched the debates that were springing up between some Catholics who also frequented the board. I had never heard or seen a debate between a Catholic and a Protestant. You can guess who I was rooting for in the debates. Over the course of time I saw a particular Catholic guy being mentioned quite often and he was a regular member of the board. He had his own website so I decided to visit the site and I was immediately interested in his story. He had a link on his site to his personal conversion story to the Catholic Church. It took me a few nights to read but I was very impressed.

Five or so years later and here I am reading mostly Catholic stuff and my wife is kinda nervous that I'll become a Catholic someday. That would be very hard on her because of the extreme anti-Catholic church to which her parents belong. Also she also grew up in that church. Anyway I'm still waiting on God to lead me in particular direction. I have a lot of interest in Catholicism but I can sense no true direction from God about this. I've read a lot of the popular Catholic books and it all sounds so convincing but I'm just hesitating because it seems that Protestant scholars/debaters/preachers/teachers can sound just as convincing when they teach the protestant version of the story. I feel like I should just wait on God to work his perfect will in my life. I know that there are areas that have to be resolved before I can go foward in my walk with Him.

No comments: